LGBTQ Welcoming Congregation
We Welcome EVERYONE
We believe that our first Principle, respecting “the inherent worth and dignity of every person,” applies equally to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Unitarian Universalism intentionally reaches out to LGBTQ people and their families. Unitarian Universalist churches that are formally designated Welcoming Congregations have completed a program to enhance their welcome of all people.
We are a Welcoming Congregation
We are recognized by the Unitarian Universalist Association as A Welcoming Congregation. This means we affirm and include LGBTQ people at every level of congregational life—in worship, in programs, and in social occasions—welcoming them as whole people.
Because we are a Welcoming Congregation, we pledge to:
- Honor the lives of all people and affirm displays of caring and affection without regard for sexual orientation.
- Celebrate diversity by using inclusive language and content in worship.
- Recognize the experiences of LGBTQ persons in all of our programs, including religious education.
- Affirm and celebrate LGBTQ issues and history.
- Affirm marriage equality and conduct same-sex weddings.
- Advocate for LGBTQ people, promoting justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society.
- Speak out when the rights and dignity of LGBTQ people are at stake.