Youth Religious Education
Expanding Love, Building Identity, Exploring Beliefs
What do you think is the one thing every child needs the most? It’s pretty simple. Every child needs for you to show up. Growing up is hard. And children at every phase need adults who will show up predictably and consistently, over time. In fact, it’s the one thing they need more than anything else.
- In preschool, they need you to show up so they know you.
- In elementary years, they need you to show up so they know you know them.
- In middle school, they need you to show up so they know you know them now.
- In high school, they need you to show up so they know you will be there when they need you.
The significant relationships in a child’s life include parents, small group leaders, decision makers, teachers, friends, and us. If you gain influence in a child’s life now, you stand a better chance of having influence with them later when it matters even more. That’s why every phase of a child’s life gives us a new opportunity to connect them to a significant relationship.
Our goals for them are to build strong relationships, help them learn to make good choices and the one thing we are uniquely positioned to help with, developing a deeper faith as Unitarian Univeralists.
We have to pay attention and we have to show up! So where are you?
This month we will begin the second phase of our long term program goals, to build a stronger religious identity.
- Beginner’s Mediation will be offered at the first service and is intended for all ages!
- In the Nursery we will show episodes of Mr Roger’s Neighborhood along with free play. http://pbskids.org/video/mister-rogers/
- Our youngest children will begin a program based on the Spirit Play model. Follow this link for more details http://www.spirit-play.com/
- Our two older groups will engage in a variety of programs including Our Whole Lives (for middle school ages) and a newly published world religions program.
Interested in any of these programs? Please, come and speak with me.
Hope to see you all soon!
Susan Freudenthal, Director of Religious Education
Adult Exploration depends on you! What interests you? Are you willing to lead or co-lead a book study? A conversation? A class? Fill out a request/proposal and I’ll help you make it happen. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ldBkScTcz8T6wl_t68EbJ8O-FdxD9RI1rDXx991mMko/edit?usp=sharing