Jul 15 The Last Goodbye
Join John Northcutt, Rev. Sue and Chuck at the High Desert Brewery to hoist a couple of beers, munch on a few snacks, and say a final goodbye to Sue and Chuck. This is a great opportunity to add to the church’s coffers while spending a little more time with them before Sue and Chuck head north. The $15 per person cost will be added to your auction bill. You can add your name to the list that will be in the church lobby on Sunday or email Lyn and ask to have your name(s) added to the list.
Jul 20 Dining Out
July Dining Out will be at 5:00 pm on Friday, July 20 at Lorenzo’s, 1753 E University. (East of McDonald’s) Please sign up by Wednesday, the 18. Direct questions to DiningOut@uuchurchlc.org.
Jul 20-22 Church Campout
For planning purposes, we need an estimate of how many people are coming to the campout, even those who are driving up for the day on Saturday. We need to know how much pancake batter to make for the Saturday morning breakfast.
There will be a sign-up sheet every Sunday in the Religious Education Building great room. You may also let Jim Basler know if you will attend the campout, sending email to email@example.com..
Your signup information will also be used to contact you to provide you with information you request or need such as a map, directions, and a list of things you need to bring with you.
This is the signup information we must have:
- Contact information (name, phone #, email address)
- Number of adults & number of children in your group
- Comments: any additional information you would like us to know.
Watch the nUUs for more information. Contact Charlie Welch or Jim Basler if you have questions.
Camp-out Activities Schedule
Friday July 20
The camp-out team will: Meet the people delivering our Port-a-potties from Silver City & escort them to our camp site. Put up signs by the highway and along the dirt road leading to our campsite so you can find it. Tie some large tarps between trees to provide shelter from sun & rain. Place tables under it for snacks, drinks, games, & meals.
As people arrive, they will pick where they want to put their campsite, set it up, visit with other, and maybe explore the area. Near dusk everyone will grab their chairs and gather around the campfire, visit, maybe sing, while the children roast marshmallows.
Saturday July 21
- 7 AM – 9 AM Pancake breakfast
- 10 AM – 12 PM Group Hikes: An easy one suitable for children or a little harder suitable for teenagers & healthy adults.
- Noon – 5 pm Free time. You have lots of opportunities for using your free time.
The children can help create an effigy of Sam McGee using old clothes, tree branches for arm & legs, pine needle stuffing, a paper plate on which to draw a face. Their effigy of Sam will be used at the evening gathering around the campfire.
You can join a group of UUs and add your tall tales, adventure, & interests to those of the others.
Explore the many hiking trails in the area.
Go fising or boating at Lake Roberts
Make a side trip to the Cliff Dwellings
Take the scenic drive to Lake Roberts store for an ice cream fix.
Sit in the shade with a good book while watching the wildlife around you.
- 6 PM – 7 PM Potluck supper
- 7:30 pm – ?? Gathering around the campfire. The children like to roast hot dogs, marshmallows, and make Smores. It has become a tradition to read the humorous poem The Cremation of Sam McGee while grouped around the campfire. At the appropriate time in the poem, the effigy of Sam created by the kids is placed in the campfire so poor Sam can finally get warm. If you play the guitar, please bring it to the campout. It’s more fun singing with accompaniment. The singers aren’t experts so you don’t have to be one either.
Sunday July 22
10 AM Church service circle under the pines. If you have a poem or reading you would like to present, please bring it.
Sep 14-16 WOMENSPIRIT Retreat
WomenSpirit Taking Shape will be held this year from September 14-16, 2018. Registration is now open! Click here to be taken to the registration form. Depending on your browser, the form will immediately open on your screen or it will download to your computer. You should print the form, complete it, and send it to the address noted on the form. Be sure to check out the option to come a day early. If you have questions, please contact Sara Thomas.
REGISTRATION needs to be postmarked on or before August 31st, 2018.
NO LATE REGISTRATIONS ALLOWED!! NO EXCEPTIONS!!
Register by August 11, 2018 to obtain a complimentary T-Shirt.WomenSpirit
Workshops this year include: Eco Print and Dye,Tai Chi Chih, Singing Meditation, Metaphysical lecture, Hiking, Writing, and Dancing.